Create your free account now! Sign up

Tell me what I don't know?

TL;DR: 

1.How much is any of this worth? (Price list and range) 

2. How far is too far, and what should you be compensated for distance? 

3. How much of this is wrong, and just downright illegal? 

4. Where do you find proper and competent training, that doesn't leave you financially crippled while you do it? 

5. Insurance and taxes? Someone is lying, what's the truth? 

Good morning!

Looking for veterans of the industry that are willing to share some wisdom and history! You can respond here, or we can trade info so we can communicate somewhere else if you want. 

I've been doing this type of work for roughly 4 years, and I've noticed the post and general conversation here and elsewhere, that things are getting worse for contractors and subcontractors? I'm largely unaware of what "better" Is, and would like to know more! 

I understand the rates are much lower in certain areas, there used to be a union apparently that I have no knowledge of, and just from working in this industry myself and talking to other tradesmen, the tactics and practices of the primes have diminished greatly?! 

I started out subcontracting residential coax burial. I know what the rates are currently in my area, or at least I think I do?! I have no idea about any time period before me, and some of the younger guys just starting, are signing up for some bs?! Both in pay and requirements. 

Are there no checks and balances? What's driving rates? Also, training? 

I've made some good friends along the way doing this work! Really solid hardworking guys! Some have received next to no formal training at all, where the "training" phase last 3 months with no actual trainer?? Just lowered rates while you bumble through pissed customers?! If there is a trainer, the trainer receives no compensation for the added headache. He's just told to stick a guy in the passenger seat, and drive him around showing him what he knows... Which is often times not much more than the trainee?! 

Currently I'll install or bury nearly anything to keep the lights on, and while I believe that's good work ethic, it's also part of the problem?! I've been learning as I go, talking to questionable characters, who are largely reluctant to tell us anything. "Whatever it takes" isn't a plan, it's an accident waiting to happen. 

I've been told to tow equipment that wasn't strapped down properly, with parts missing, and me spending time out of my day nearly becoming a maintenance man for no extra pay. Luckily for me, I had a working man's upbringing, a father, and military experience. Most young men nowadays aren't that lucky. 

I read a lot here, and my final thought is, I'm probably being robbed, doing some things unsafe, and have probably unknowingly participated in some light illegal activity?!

I've worked in other fields, and I know what right looks like. (Welding, forestry, carpentry, brick masonry, plumbing, pallet building, truck driving, etc.) A lot of the companies or primes boast great rates and pay, but lack the workload?! Generally, you're going to make $1000 a week. Stop the nonsense please, it's just insulting our intelligence to say different. 

There's no real contract signed listing anything concrete that you can expect from them, but they expect you to abide by every new "rule" they come down with? Tracking tech on your personal equipment? Constant rate changes, that are never in your favor, always demanding more work for less pay? None of this written down anywhere, and barely even discussed?! I feel like everything I "agree" to, screws the next guy after me over?! 

Any of you guys wanna chime in on this, feel free! Thanks! 

This is CABL.com posting #382717. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbLI1
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: Tell me what I don't know? OrtizCable 2/26/2020 7:16:03 AM
Re: Tell me what I don't know kysplicer61 2/18/2020 4:09:37 PM
Re: Tell me what I don't know Shane FOUNTAIN 2/17/2020 4:23:01 PM
Re: Tell me what I don't know? Lightmaster 2/17/2020 2:37:28 PM
Re: Tell me what I don't know? EDSTONER 2/17/2020 1:32:15 PM