Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Tell me what I don't know

To a point we have all been "part of the problem", but continually letting the prices get to where they are today.

Seems like you have a good grasp on this industry. Especially towards the end of your post. 

If changes are made, then compensation should followbit they rarely do.or. or atleast favorable change to the one affected. This is where alot of our pay cuts come in. As well as outright pay cuts  and "composite" it's been a almost never ending cycle the last 20 years. Again we have all been a "part of the problem" like you put it. And because of that the prices have reflected it.

The more people in your chain of command the less you will make. Regardless of whether they really contribute or not,they have to be paid. That money will probably come from the people who actually do make contributions. They will probably have a box full of wrenches that they will constantly throw in your motor. They probably don't know standard from metric wrench or screwdriver?? And it almost always cost you ,not them when they make a mistake.

Its different when you make you money off a percentage instead of your "back". More "backs" can usually make up for less money Or smaller percentage , especially when the" backs" are 1099 as they have cover their own expenses.

Their are still good people to work or sub from, but theres also alot of crooks out there. To me it's good when you know what your true boss looks like , and they know the difference between a coring tool and a lasher , and they know how to use them. Best job I ever had my boss did and he was efficient in using both tools as well as climbing poles and sweeping. I he still did them almost until he decided to retire.

I've always thought that some openness on pricing could help. Like when I say I wouldn't do $30-40 composite pole transfers, or .25 splicing with fwd/ rev balancing, ground rods etc included, or $15 fiber splices with free preps etc. Alot of these jobs cost you more to drive to them than they pay a sub to do them. At a certain point you or we have to decide where prices need to be for you to make a living, and not settle for less than that. It's different for alot of us, but alot of our cost are similar. But to each his own I guess, you have to decide what works for you and your family. I do believe the last few years the industry has seen alot of good talent that realizef it's Just not worth it anymore. Thus good help has been harder to come by. I hope prices will start going in the right direction for a change. Also usually you get what you pay for.

If you are working 6 or 7 days a week on all kind of crazy schedules of days and nights to make the same money you made 20 years ago in 4 to 5 days of "regular" day scheduled work  hmmm i don't think that's too good or atleast not too me. But to each their own I guess.

We've been blessed to make it this far this long. Good luck and hang in there.

This is CABL.com posting #382729. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbLJd
Posted in reply to: Tell me what I don't know? by Bradric
There are 0 replies to this message