Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: GMP Civitella Cable lashe

For what it’s worth:

in my opinion, It is hard to beat the 100 year old design of the GMP C & J style lashers.  Yes I know the haven’t been around that long but the basic GMP design has.  That said, I personally prefer the lashers that spin when the lashing wire is being fed rather than depending on the friction of the strand, which this new GMP/Klein does.  Back in the day Cable Spinner out of New London MN made  several good lashers.  They are now DCD out of Canada.  I recently bought a new DCD Falcon and a new DCD Eagle.   The Falcon looked like a prototype out of the box.  It is under designed, cumbersome to use and lasted only a few hours before it was broke.  The only good thing about Falcon; it is light weight.  The Falcon manual states that: THIS IS A PRECISION PIECE OF EQUIPMENT AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH.  Translation; the Falcon is a POS and will break with normal use.  The Eagle of yesteryear (Cable Spinner) is a good lasher and is the one most of my linemen prefer to use.  However new Eagle lasher from DCD, has been cheapened and made so cumbersome to use, Im going to send it back without even using it.  

Im pretty sure the new lasher design teams (both GMP & DCD) have NEVER been a lineman on production.  As is demonstrated by the multi-motion gates & latches.  As you know the GMP Cs, Js, & Cable Spinner lashers have a front & back gate and a strand lock.  All quickly opened and closed by a single motion.  The new lasher designs take multiple multiple actions to open & close.  

Even though the video had a lot of gray hair demonstrating the lasher, it did not translate to lasher knowledge or experience.  I don’t think I’d buy one based on the video because it is too cumbersome to use.  But I would be willing to try one because it does look better built than the DCD lashers and it spins when the lashing wire is fed out. 

This is CABL.com posting #389081. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbNnF
Posted in reply to: GMP Civitella Cable Lasher by llowman
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: GMP Civitella Cable lashe TSBCCC 3/15/2023 9:49:01 PM
Re: GMP Civitella Cable lasher llowman 3/15/2023 7:13:29 PM