Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Start splicing business in CA “Help”

First, you have to have contacts with the owner of the project(s).  Without contacts, it will be very difficult to get jobs as a prime.  Second, you need money.  Lots of money.  I have romanced many companies nearly a year before we actually started the project.  From the time you start the actual work until you receive your first payment will most likely be 90 days.  Some companies will be longer.  

If you have contacts and money then you need a good lawyer, CPA, business insurance agent and a business banker.  The lawyer will help you set up a corporation or  an LLC.  In todays sue happy climate, I would not be in business without the protection of a  corporation or LLC.   The CPA will help you set up you books proper and legal, set up a depreciation schedule, help obtain a Federal tax ID number, among other things and prepare your taxes.  Your taxes will be far too complicated for you to prepare.  The CPA will keep up with the changes to the tax code from year to year.  It will be nearly impossible for you to do that on your own.  The BUSINESS insurance agent will help you with the ever changing insurance requirements.  Your home and auto agent is not usually the best choice.  Find an BUSINESS agent that knows your worker compensation codes without having to spend hours looking them up.  You will also need a relationship with a good business banker.  From time to time you will need a line of credit or reference from a banker.  It is best to have that in place before you actually need it.  

And this is all before you have any employees.  All I will say about employees for a startup company is the when you add your first employee it will double your crew but it will not double your profit.  That will come later with multiple employees .

Good luck

This is CABL.com posting #387824. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbM3o
Posted in reply to: Start splicing business in CA “Help” by Javier1983
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Start splicing business in CA “Help” patriotspl 6/25/2022 9:05:44 AM