Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Once again

The average McDonalds worker actually doesn't work 40 hours, most of them are part time. We're talking about a significantly less skilled worker vs a telecom field technician. I don't see how we can even compare the two.

There are a lot of factors that point to what isn't enough money. Joe contractor may be from a metropolitan area, where cost of living is significantly higher than Joe contractor from rural USA. So Joe contactor from San Francisco, CA would most likely consider $500 a day is crap considering gas prices are probably $6.00 a gallon, auto insurance premiums even with a great driving record are 35% higher than Joe from rural USA. Operating expenses can vary greatly depending on where you are located, experience in the business and many other factors.

Let's also remind folks that even if you have eligible write-offs, you still have to "spend the money" first. You write these off when you file your quarterlies / year end or whatever frequency that sub chooses to file.

Joe splicer might be able to complete the job in 6 minutes, but not every single job is a 6 minute job. We all know this.

As a reputable prime, I wouldn't want to hire sub contractors who show up with an Amazon fusion splicer, a beat up truck, an OTDR that can't produce quality reports, etc. The folks you hire to do the job is also a representation of your company and the customer you provide services to. I want someone who shows up with an EXFO, someone who knows what regular calibrations are, someone who shows up with a $10000 fusion splicer, because they are reliable and when the unit goes down they know that when they send it in for repair it's a quick turnaround. This is reliability in my eyes. When they roll up to someone's house, as a homeowner myself, I do consider at times who and what is showing up to my doorstep. It's also about perception. With all of that being said, Joe contractor's operating expenses and being able to maintain a profitable business depends on many things. We can't knock on someone for saying $500 is not enough. It really might not be for that person.

This is CABL.com posting #386803. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbMMV
Posted in reply to: Re: Once again by ArrowSky
There are 0 replies to this message