Create your free account now! Sign up

Welcome Back Zoots!

From a guy that's recovered from a broken back and many other simultaneous breaks and soft tissue injuries, it's damn good to have you back! This place is filled with such mindless banter these days, it's always good to see your (and Magi's) posts that are dignified, professional and on target. :-)

>
>
> > Just wondering if anybody knows who the top companies are who can provide HFC "physical plant" analyses/recommendations/enhancements to prepare for VoIP deployments.
>
> First of all my friend, depending on which side of the fence you currently reside on (Contract Engineering/Construction/Labor vs. Operator I would question from which aspect of detail you are seeking information.
>
> If you're looking for contract engineering labor to perform a host of compliance, certification, tap-port audting/addresability, design/as build analysis, EOL and POP testing, system upgrade, and general performance maintenance I'd say that there are many competent vendors somewhere on this lounge doing depth-charge shots of Bourbon. If you're on the Operator side of the fence and of the non-MSO type of operation then you’re looking for various yet specific plant compliance and certification programs that must be performed to pass the five 9's muster. There exists certain Bell Core Specs that roughly touch the surface of VOIP but the standards and discipline are apt to apply. Another independent resource would be the SCTE and Cable Labs for they have been instrumental in the guidance and or direction of the VOIP Roll-Out. Cable Labs is the "Independent" R&D arm which is funded by most of the MSO's and other related operators and component vendors.
>
> For instance Arris is a vendor who is one of the equipment leaders in this area besides some of the other non-traditional vendors like C-CorNet (ADC) and SA, etc.
>
> One of today's frustrations are the MSO interconnectivity piece i.e., one MSO's fiber integrated into another MSO's via intra or inter XC transitioning and routing. If you remember the "Old" days of switched circuit switching amongst MSO's a problem existed within the transitioning. Not to get to technical but some of these systems tried to mate Nortel and 5Es mains together which created packet rippling and data loss when muxed to ATM levels and upwards to SONET capacity. I digress!
>
> Then there lies the FCC/Tariff/Regulatory environment. By virtue of reading a few posts by "Maggie" I naturally suspect that she maintains a deep bench of resources that are invaluable to say the least.
>
> If you're an MSO operative such as yours truly, then most if not all of the Holy Grail of Questions and Answers already exist at your corporate engineering offices.
>
> What specifically are you looking for? I know quite knowledgeable people who can create miracles but are not allowed to mingle with "Normal" societal inhabitants.
>
> My last but short point will be your drops. Like everything else your drops constitute greater linear mileage than your network. If you haven't launched any type of two-way yet you'll be in for a grand surprise. Your ingress/egress quotient will be staggering. Especially after a system upgrade.
>
> Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
>
> Zoots Alures (usa)- Back from Death via Broken Neck, Knee, Head, and ego recovery
>
>
This is CABL.com posting #96724. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mzke
Posted in reply to: Re: cable VoIP - IMHO by Zoots Alures
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Welcome Back Zoots! Zoots Alures 2/4/2003 5:38:00 PM