Create your free account now! Sign up

Problem is usually NOT the return loss on splices.

I agree with all the posters saying a splice or extension or standard fitting must be "well done". Craftsmanship is everythang in coaxial splicing. Back in the old 450MHz power doubling day, a straight splice on the output of a trunk cable needed to be a minimum of 300 feet off the amp.

The problem with a straight splice near to an amp output usually comes with having a coax stinger cut slightly too long. When this happens the coax stinger bottoms out in the splice, but the radiation shelid does not bottom out in the cored out coax. That leaves a small amount of cable with no insulation. In an extrememly long stinger, there will be a radiation leak, but this is very rare. This is the culprit when there is a reflection affecting the forward signal.

So conversely if there is a splice in the near proximity of the forward-feed input {which is where the return would launch from} of an amp that is return-capable, the reflection from a mis-cut stinger would affect the return but leave the forward signal alone.

Someone once asked me why a long stinger in a standard connector does not affect the signal. The reason as I see it would be the fact that a splice is not constructed exactly like a pin fitting, it is more similar to a plain old wire butt splice. However when dealing with RF signal, with the proximity of two mis-cut stingers in a straight splice the reflection grows exponentially. So if you're using those wonderful "magic splices" to mate dissimilar or even like cables, you could still run into reflective issues a close proximity to amps.

> Aside from seeing return signatures from splices, where can I link to find there losses? What are there losses? (confused)I am looking for most makes ie. gilbert, LRC, etc. and sizes
You don't always get what you expect, but you know what you got when you inspect. Happiness comes from within, some poor souls are just without.
This is CABL.com posting #71517. Tiny Link: cabl.co/msLF
Posted in reply to: What are the return losses on splices? by tech578
There are 0 replies to this message