Create your free account now! Sign up

The mysterious disappearance explained

Inquiring minds want to know, so here's the story. Early last week there were major server problems. I was already planning to move the servers because they were at a NOC about 60 miles away and rather inconvenient when problems arose (which was becoming frequent). So I decided to just give up on fixing the old and focused on getting the new ones operational as quickly as possible. It would mean a few days down but to get everything working solid again it would be worth it.

So last Wednesday I submitted the necessary requests for Network Solutions to change the name servers from the old to the new IP addresses. It was a little complicated because the mail server at the old location was on the crashed machine and not operational, so written authorizations were necessary. They said it would take up to 3 days. I needed time to get the new servers going anyway, so all looked good.

Phone call on Friday, "it's still being processed." Of course weekends don't count so looked like Monday (ah, it's a holiday, oh no...?) On Monday, suprise, all transfers are completed. Except cabl.com. Seems because it is registered under a personal name they need a copy of personal id. Never mind they allowed the company-owned names to be transferred from the same request based on the signature of that same individual!?!

"We'll put priority status on the request. Fax the documentation and it will be done ASAP." Fine, I fax my drivers license and copies of prior documentation. Call Tuesday, "still in processing." What happened to priority? Wednesday, deja vu all over again; "Need verification of personal id." What? I sent my drivers license! "It doesn't have a picture." Why the #@$?!& do you need a picture on the ID when you have no idea what I look like anyway? "Sir, [blah, blah ... red tape ... blah, blah] Just fax a copy of your most recent invoice and we'll put priority status on the request." (Grrr!)

No problem, I work in the cable industry. I'm used to this. I finally (finally!) got an approval without having to fax anything else on "priority" status.

The change was made at the root servers early this morning. It might not be until later tomorrow that everyone's DNS will be updated.

So, I'm sorry for the down time. I know (especially after these past two weeks) that many of you have come to rely on this site being here. I'm working on making the site one that is professionally run, rather than a toy I play with in my spare time that it is now. It will probably mean paid advertising banners and all that, but its long overdue I think. Anyway, if you have any suggestions let me know.
This is CABL.com posting #62246. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mql8
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: The mysterious disappearance explained dlightning 2/22/2002 11:25:00 AM