Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Pole data collection by the Construction crew.

Im a degreed engineer.  (Not many of us in the cable tv world).  I have also been a lineman in my younger years because I wanted to be.  So I have experience on both sides of this conversation.  I can tell you without a doubt there has been mistakes made by both engineers and lineman.  There are many times the lineman have had a good idea.  Some of them worked, some did not fit into the big picture that most lineman are not privy too.  I can tell you that I  have had to correct more things lineman thought were a good idea and changed design, than the engineers erroring.  A good lineman will seen what looks like an error on a print and contact the engineer.  A bad lineman will just change it knowing he is smarter than the engineer.  What the smart lineman knows is that maybe it is an error or maybe it just is something different that looks like an error.  Sometimes the owner of a project asks for something unusual for an unusual situation.  Linemen are almost never consulted on about this type of situation.  After all it is not a lineman job to design the plant.  The engineer has to know if there is a proposed change to the design.  The engineer will see then how it affects the overall design.  If the engineer does not have a chance to look at the proposed change, the system may not work as owner expects.   Work together is the key.  I have worked with several very smart lineman and with a lot more smart ass lineman.  I have consulted with the smart lineman and used several of their ideas to improve the plant.   My dad said if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything.  So I won't comment on the other group of lineman.

This is CABL.com posting #386980. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbMPM
Posted in reply to: Re: Pole data collection by the Construction crew. by webber560
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Pole data collection by the Construction crew. webber560 12/29/2021 7:09:55 PM