Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Thank the middlemen

We're discussing that currently. I'm leaning toward finding more independent work. Irrigation, cleanup, etc. I have my own insurance and can set my own prices for the work.

Doing cable work for these companies is a nightmare. All the liability is on you, as well as the travel, crews, equipment, and literally every other expense.

Primarily my issue is the lack of professionalism! They spend more time trying to con you, than they do just assisting you with getting their work done! It's annoying! No one's driving 4 hrs round trip, hauling tons of equipment, with no actual work information, no per diem, no travel pay, for $40 composite pay. Only to find out after, that they've got tons of 250-400ft drops with driveways and road bores everywhere. Just tell me that shit up front! Not afraid of work, I hate losing time and money trying to drag a straight answer out of you! 

Or the "we've got tons of work" bit, to get there and find out it's just the shit the last contractor wouldn't do, or they've really only got a month worth of drops. Quickly trying to turn you into employees soon as you've been there for longer than a month. You'd think with all the screaming they do, it'd be nothing to them to put you in a hotel while you're there doing 50+ drops a week primarily by hand, for practically nothing! 

Let's not forget, your own truck and tools, insurance, and machine is required! They don't even wanna come out to a job site in an emergency, and don't want to put in locate request at the office! Where all the A/C and computers actually are!

I really don't know how these guys get jobs at these companies? Every customer is pissed before you get there, because they've been back and forth with several desk jockey's for months, while the cable lines just turn colors in their yards. 

They don't listen to anyone who actually does underground work, when we tell them you can't just sink a machine blade a foot and drive through people's yards without cutting half their utilities! They will literally tell you they don't care, just fix it if you cut it. 

I hope those guys out there working for $10- $13 an hour, cost them millions in damages! 

This is CABL.com posting #384097. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbL5h
Posted in reply to: Re: Thank the middlemen by MicroMan
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Thank the middlemen MicroMan 8/23/2020 9:53:12 AM