Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Fiber Splicing

I am a bit cynical, but I don't think anyone should open a fiber splice closure without at least 2-3 years experience.  I have seen some absolute disaster splice cases that were recently built by inexperienced splicers.  If you build a closure wrong you are basically screwing the future.  If you want to get into fiber work, look into some training.  Shadow an experienced splicer.  Gain some experience.  Don't commit to doing work that you are not familiar with.  

You will need a fusion splicer, OTDR, OLTS, Light ID, VFL, Tube shaver, extra cleaver, splice truck/trailer, splice tent, not to mention all the hand tools.  Don't bother looking for prices on Ebay.  The Chinese garbage that fills Ebay is exactly that.  Garbage.  You are looking at $50,000 to get one crew started, on a budget.  To do things right, you will be closer to $100,000. 

Keep in mind, you will not want to commit to service affecting MOPs/cutovers/section throws without 2 crews if you don't have experience.  

On the other hand, I do make a lot of money fixing what other people screw up.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Quit being part of the problem!
This is CABL.com posting #382683. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbLIt
Posted in reply to: Fiber Splicing by Jprez
There are 0 replies to this message