Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What the hell has happened to our industry abs

I started in the late 80's really. With the govt. by mid 90's I work with companies up until las t year started sub-contracting. Worked as a maintenance tech for Bell Atlantic in Richmond Va, then they merged with GTE to make Verizon bout 2004/2005.  In 99, to say, 2005, I hooked poles all the time. Running cable troubles. They would not give me a bucket truck. The buckets were for the pioneers who were still there from the 60's. It was normal. THEN. You all know. Ascend a pole, the entire neighborhood looking at you, dogs at base of pole, barking at you. Descend the pole after your fix and people laughing, saying you look like a cowboy walking, now. After your third pole climb. Pole climbing to me started phasing out around this time, 2005,2006. Everyone would ask and get buckets, to help. I worked with ATT here lately in Raleigh NC. Although they have gaff training, I NEVER, seen a tech gaff in the field the entire 6 years I was there. Cable techs, service techs, installers, nobody. Gaffs jus collected dust in vans. Does the power companies even gaff anymore? I used to see them as often as lineman with phone and cable tv companies gaff.
This is CABL.com posting #377146. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKha
Posted in reply to: What the hell has happened to our industry absence by bigduck1
There are 2 replies to this message