Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Installing cable versus installing satellite

Satellite or Cable, its all really the same animal with a different bite.  Cable you don't have to buy your own cable/fittings/supplies or worry about finding a LOS, also your jobs are probably closer together.  

Satellite, if you are going to be a contractor, you will have to supply your own materials (cable, fittings, grounding, ties, tacks etc) Your jobs will be much further apart, sometimes 60 miles between jobs are the norm.  You will then drive that 60 miles, to find that the customer is surrounded by 100 foot trees and the job will not go in because of LOS.  Satellite you are responsible for any,every, all, and then more that could ever possibly happen to the customers system or house.  You install a dish, 6 months later a tree limb falls on the customer porch at their vacation home 300 miles away, you might get blamed for it (thats an exaggeration of course, but not much).  Be prepared to work 6 or even 7 days a week, 6 am till 8 pm if in a busy market.

Thats what I can tell you about the satellite world, after my almost 20 years in the business.  I have not done cable work since the early 90's, and that was in house, so I can't speak for it as of today.  Yes, satellite probably does pay more per job, but there is a lot more risk and expense, so all in all, it probably is about the same.
Never argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
This is CABL.com posting #360776. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbF08
Posted in reply to: Installing cable versus installing satellite by cabledawg1979
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Installing cable versus installing satellite cabledawg1979 3/8/2014 9:08:33 PM