Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: To Ping or not to Ping?!

And if you get say 24ms from the node what will you do? It is not so much of a should you or should you not, as it is what are you looking for with it? What are you looking for with the ping that you cannot find with the other tests already required I suppose is the question.

It's not that it won't say something is wrong but then what? We have tons of tests where I work that say something is wrong but never what. these are  a waste of tiem chances are if I am on a call there is something wrong? Half the time they say it becasue they planted the return carrier to close to the roll off of the diplex filter though, and until they relocate it nothing can be done about it, the test is therefore a nagging annoyance and not a valuable tool. Saying somethign is wrong but you don't know what just seems like a waste of time to me. Saying RF levels are low or MER is off, or BER ets is useful, it helps steer you in a direction but if latency is 24ms form the node what does that actually mean? the cmts was under heavy load and did not respond as fast since no one out there rates icmp packet responce a top priority since the first ICMP flood dos back in the 80's or 90's? That the HE tech was having it upgrade firmware or run other software maintenance? Too little info from the reuslts IMHO. The only time I ever do it is to prove to a sub it's thier shit causing the  problems.
This is CABL.com posting #351063. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDut
Posted in reply to: To Ping or not to Ping?! by averyrandy
There are 0 replies to this message