Create your free account now! Sign up

Fiber splicing technical issue

Hey guys

I'm using a Fitel 177a. Been a real good machine, until lately. It has a little over 16,000 splices on it. Just got it back less than two months ago for basic service and maintenence.
Had to do a 132 count, with roughly 50 hot fibers. My machine typically gives a decent decibal loss estimate, .o to .o5 or .06. Got some crazy loss estimates that night, like .43 or as nhigh as a .82. But visual inspection would show no bubble or defect. But we'd break anyway and splice again.
Anyhow, we got the hot ones spliced, called the NOC, and received confirmation that all the nodes and a US cell site was back up transmitting.
So, a full day and a half later we get a call from our Vendor saying 5 of our splices had failed, after the fact,  and had to be re-spliced.
Then a full 3 days later we got news another had failed and had to be resplicesd.
I have never experienced this before. It's either a good splice or bad., Works or doesn't.
Does anyone have any idea what this prob could be? Machine? Overhandled fiber? Anything?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
This is CABL.com posting #335911. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbzx5
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Fiber splicing technical issue fusion40s 11/28/2011 12:01:46 AM