Create your free account now! Sign up

Going back to work for a union

Hey guys, I've just recently received some news I wasn't expecting to hear and wanted to hear some feedback and get your guys's opinions. I used to work for AT&T installing triple play U-verse service and was pretty damn good at it. I absolutely loved the job and thought I was going to do it forever. Because of my age at 22 years old, I came across an opportunity to become a fiber splicer at a network installation and construction company. I chose this route because I wanted the educational experience and thought it would look good for my resume in the long run. I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life but I thought fiber splicing would be a good addition to my resume. It's been about 9 months now and I find myself missing installing triple play and am already planning on going back. I don't know if I want to be a cable guy for the rest of my life but with AT&T being union there's a good chance the next contract will have the top pay hit roughly 25$ an hour. So the news I wasn't expecting to hear is that AT&T is now hiring locally in my area and I can basically get my job back. I already planned on leaving my job to begin with but I wanted to stand firm on holding the position for 1 year, I just think saying I was a fiber splicer for 10 months would look a lot worse than if it were at least 1 full year. There's so much more BS at AT&T and a lot of crap to take, my job now is so much more laid back but I still miss my old job. Aside from the ongoing everyday BS, being a union means your job security is dependent on your seniority and hire date which would start all over for me. It would take 5 years to get my seniority back. Basically I need to decide if I'm going to apply for my old job here soon or not and just wanted to hear some feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read this message as it probably doesn't relate to many people but hopefully can stir up some good discussion.

Jarred
This is CABL.com posting #333055. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbyN1
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Going back to work for a union Sticks1 3/12/2013 7:33:29 PM
Re: Going back to work for a union mooredl 11/6/2011 8:31:23 PM
Re: Going back to work for a union McknightCable 11/4/2011 12:43:22 PM