Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Any HPNA techs?

I'm not an expert on it, but I've installed u-verse for just under 3 years and running a STB over single pair IW with a dongle or coax was considered HPNA output from the RG (main modem) to all of the STB's. I think it depends on what type of wiring you are using and what type of trouble you are having.  I do know it was pretty sensitive stuff, I would keep an eye out for bad barrels or loose fittings that could leak voltage and noise back in to your network, torque all your fittings and replace them if they haven't been already, regardless of how pretty they look. everything is linked together, an issue from one STB could screw up the entire system. if you're running over IW, which is the worst setup,  make sure it isn't substandard  red green yellow black IW and you twist up and re-splice every splice you can get your hands on if its not atleast cat 5 cable. You especially want to re-splice the connections if they are looping through a telephone jack. remember it only takes one thing to screw up the whole HPNA network, so you could start by disconnecting STB's one at a time and see if you can re-create the problem depending on how consistent it is. Also use your HPNA test on your meter if you have one at all locations, and use the coax mapper to look for hidden splitters as they all need to be of the same frequency. use your tone generator at the least to look for shorts if going over IW, and your meter to check the distance over IW if possible, and no crimped fittings! let me know what you find out as I loved troubleshooting this stuff and am curious as to whats going on.
This is CABL.com posting #323705. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbwnd
Posted in reply to: Any HPNA techs? by smcvicker
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Any HPNA techs? smcvicker 3/24/2011 8:26:38 AM