Create your free account now! Sign up

contract cable companies use fiber techs?

Hey guys, I apologize if this has already been brought up on this website but I would like to start by saying that I am new here and found this to be an excellent website for cable technicians. I would just like to get some peoples opinions on my situation here. I have installed AT&T U-verse service for just under 3 years now and I absolutely loved doing cable work at peoples houses. During my employment I managed to have time to earn a CFOT and AFOT fiber optics certification and have recently landed a new job as a fiber splicer. I was hesitant to leave my job because I loved the work so much, but we were also union and I didn't have any seniority so I'm lucky I left when I did. I took a small pay cut but was willing to leave because I thought fiber was the wave of the future and wanted to learn something new to be more than just a cable guy. Turns out I just don't enjoy the work as much even tho it's not that bad and I'm getting to be apart of some neat projects. I have only been doing it for about 3 months and feel obligated to stick with it for atleast a year since I think it will look good for my resume in the future. However, I have recently been thinking about becoming and independent cable contractor because of the potential income I hear they can make and my passion for the work. I just wanted to get more input on that and was also thinking if I invested in a fusion splicer I could do fiber work as a contractor as well and get paid per splice and hopefully make enough income to be set for life since I love working in this field so much. I am 22 in Columbus Ohio and have the funds necessary to invest in the startup costs of becoming a contractor. Sorry for this post being so long but I would really appreciate any feedback from you guys.

Thanks
This is CABL.com posting #323637. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbwl7
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: contract cable companies use fiber techs? thecablecowboy 3/23/2011 1:00:19 PM
Re: contract cable companies use fiber techs? stevens2866 3/23/2011 11:47:03 AM
Re: contract cable companies use fiber techs? JWS Comm 3/23/2011 9:41:49 AM