Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Dog fence locates

Under the circumstances and in todays building industry, yes the customer should be charged! It is there property and you are there to perform a service and to get in and out safely and w/o interuptions of other services or property damages. FYI, if in fact the invisible fence company goes out to the customers property rest assured they are charging the customer $105.00 regardless whether the entireproperty is marked or only a portion! The same goes w/ when you unfortunately cross over into the neighbors yard to get to your access ped, and oohhhps you cut the neighbors dog fence and are not aware. As yes this does happen from time to time. Now you get the bill 3 weeks later for $130.00 for one repair splice and a service fee, again go figure. The invisible fence company charges the customer what they want a standard rate, why shouldn't they. They know the customer is going to send the bill off to the MSO or telephone provider, and wham you get the bill later, proven fact time after time! Remember shit rolls down hill, and you are at the bottom.

Underground Utilty Crews, and Drop Bury Crews need to wake up and remember you have to be on your gaurd, and aware of your surroundings! Now adays these customers see dollar ($) signs when you pull in front of their homes, you'd better be smarter than the average bear! 

*** You cut something in their yard, your being hammered for it, at twice or three times what you could have repaired it for. ***

*** You trample over their delicate landscaping, shrubs, or perennials, you will be paying at twice or three times the amount to have them replaced. It doesn't matter if it was obstructing the ped, or placed in the easement or right away.***

*** Tearing up property, pertaining to peeling back the sod, leaving rutz in their fresh seed n straw, again you can be sure you will be replacing and restoring, and thats even if you have the chance, and it's not farmed out to another contractor. We know already the next contractor is waiting to spank the cable/phone co, for the outrageous monthly bill he/she has been paying for the last several years! ***

These are just a few to say the least, as the list can go on and on! I think most professional's would agree some of the bury drop crews that circle the globe, yes sad to say are a major liabilty risk waiting to happen. If I as a bus. operator need to worry about ongoing property damages, or even a crew injuring themselves, they in fact should't even be on the project!

There are form's called "Liability Waivers" solely used at a crews option, or to protect the company they in fact work for! It is used for example, you go to the door and already the customer has a chip on their shoulder since the drop has laid on the ground for nearly 2 months. They can not assist in any volunteer information, regarding private utilities, even though they are already bragging they in fact built this house! Again they can't tell you where septic was placed, leech beds, the electric to the pole barn just built, the lighting along the driveway, etc. That is when you reapear w/ the "Liability Waiver" you ask them to sign it informing them along w/ the sketch on the paperwork this is in fact the route that will be taken from A to B. Anything that possibly gets damaged we will not be responsible for! The same goes for the dog fences... This form again can be used when you know it's too wet for conditions to place the drop safely w/o leaving rutz or property damages, but the irate customers demands the drop be burried regardless of your thoughts to the wet conditions, so again sign away! Most will decide to wait until better conditions.

This process really works it's best when yes your local manager's assist you and back you up with the procedure! I have even found at times when a local manager has had to come out, and sapecificly told the customer, sign or we'll just place the interface at the right of way, You the customer can have it trenched or plowed in at your own expense!

Gentleman in today's day and age, w/ the great obstacles and booby traps through out all properties. You have to be able to protect yourself to some extent. For the wise crackers out there that continue to think they are in fact better than the rest, and it's all about common sense and proper surveying of the property. WRONG, how many times have I gone and left a site to arrnage for an appt. w/ the customer to find that there are conduits placed, whether electrical, or plumbing, that you don't even see them physically leaving the building foundation.

Back to the invisible dog fence scenario, a great suggestion in fact is to have the unwilling customer spot the fence themselves, obviously prior to you even hitting the property, called pre-schedulling. As time is money and I wouldn't expect anyone to sit on the job site waiting for the customer to dilly dally around. In fact they can contact you when this is complete, and you can successfully bury and if your nice back fill there hole!

I could go on and on, I think I have made my point clear. It's sad that some of you that get pressure from your superior to "Git Er Done" regardless of the obstacles. Only to charge you back for the in fact damages you caused in the field.

Good Luck, and I guess this is what seperates the best from the rest... 

R. Yorkman
This is CABL.com posting #285979. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbmyJ
Posted in reply to: Re: Dog fence locates by cablegyswfla
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Dog fence locates cablegyswfla 1/2/2010 3:24:23 PM