Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Austin, TX, Time Warner pay cuts??????

its sad , but from what I can tell the Cable companies are not paying less , its the primes and so on. There are taking advantage of the market cause they know guys are desperate and will work for next to nothing to put bread on the table for their families. Its sad to see the catv contracting side drop off like this, payouts 30-40% of what they used to be 5 years ago . While it sounds all nice and good to just say screw it I wont work for that company , sadly someone else will. And it keeps driving the unit prices down. in house guys aren't doing much better as the company looks at more and more contract work for less cost to them , at the same time they take advantage of it and pay the inhouse guys less as well , cause they know they wouldn't be able to do better with a contract position. I fear the days of honest work for honest pay in the installer side of things are long gone now. As long as CATV companies can find cheap labor , they will keep doing it and I fear installing is going to become the next "McDonalds" type of work. It doesnt help that alot of construction (houses and business) guys are out of work , flooding the job market making the source of cheap labor plenty. Most guys who can build a house can learn catv installs very quickly and have most of the tools ready , that coupled with alot of the "skill" needed to do installs has drop by thier(cable co) standards, which pushes the McDonalds style approach. Have a plentiful work force that can make a burger and a few skilled types running it all. Over time customers end up the same , like at Mickey D's you expect your order to be screwed up , so now with cable , you are starting to expect your install to be screwed up. Sure they make it right eventually , but in the long run , catv service will be another bag of burgers missing the fries.................
This is CABL.com posting #244315. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbbIJ
Posted in reply to: Re: Austin, TX, Time Warner pay cuts?????? by sdelnay
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Austin, TX, Time Warner pay cuts?????? wardowe 2/28/2009 10:01:22 PM