Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: The resolved Micro Tiling

I have seen some great advice from our fellow cable dogs, but I couldn't help but take notice of the tap value that your subscriber is connected to. I'm not sure if what I have to say will have any solution effect.
I noticed that you had said that you have swept the leg that you are fed from, but my question is, to what standard or precision?

In my experience "self-terminating" taps are an abomination. They truly do not terminate RF, they are just a hard line version of a drop splitter. I see nothing but forward common path reflections (standing waves) from these taps in the forward and reverse sweep pictures. To the degree that I can see it on the output TP of the amp that feeds it, and even another amp back upstream especially in the return path. The only solution that I have found aside from changing the tap to a tap that can be terminated (4port11, or 2port8 if you don't need the other two ports and you can spare 3 dB of signal both ways), is to make sure that all unused ports on the tap are terminated with a 75 Ohm resistive port terminator.

Might cut down on modulation distortion.

Just a thought!

Jeff
This is CABL.com posting #226618. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m67i
Posted in reply to: The resolved Micro Tiling by Fletcher
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: The resolved Micro Tiling Fletcher 9/10/2008 6:57:00 PM
Re: The resolved Micro Tiling Joe50 9/10/2008 10:57:00 AM