Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: WET CEMENT??? (explanation of problems)

Wet Cement is working again.

In regard to the problems of late: the CABL site is growing in popularity by the day. Popularity is good but it's now reached the point where the server is getting more hits at times than it can handle. That's why you've seen it very slow or not responding on occasion.

Actually, it's not the server so much as what runs on it. The Bar, Wet Cement, and the SCTE-List archives all use MS Access databases. Access was adequate when I originally built the stuff four years ago because traffic was relatively light. Now that it's so busy a DB engine with better performance is really needed.

Unfortunately I don't have time to switch over 1Gb of data right now, but I am going to beef up the server a bit. On Wed. or Thurs. it'll be offline for a few hours while I add a second processor (this should remove most of the bottlenecks), quadruple the RAM, add another SCSI drive, QIC tape, and upgrade to Windows 2000.

This should at least provide a short term solution until I can get around to addressing the DB problem. So just bear with it a few more days and things will be getting better.

This is CABL.com posting #21127. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mfEV
Posted in reply to: Re: WET CEMENT??? by d.jones
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: WET CEMENT??? (explanation of problems) uknowme2 4/25/2012 12:10:11 PM
Re: WET CEMENT??? (explanation of problems) k r splicing 8/9/2000 9:22:00 PM