Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: MC2 vs Fused Discs

Good question. In one word, NO. Not if one knows what they are talking about. There are 2 types of coax that use air as the that is the least amount of loss when compared to dielectric (foam) cable. Fused dick...errr...disc was the first type that used only discs. The cable kinked and cracked very easily. You really didn't 'core' it as much as you would just shove the disks back using your corring tool. Also, fused disc never came jacketed to the best of my knowledge and isn't manufactured any longer. If you are dealing with it, chances are it is 20 year old cable that should, by all rights, be replaced.

MC2 is the re-incarnation of fused disc, as in a plastic 'liner' coats the inside of the aluminum sheath and holds the discs in place. This makes the cable less likely to kink and crack and requires a special coring tool to be able to put a connector on. Also MC2 comes both jacketed and not, jaceted being the most common and adds to the durability of the cable itself.

Short of the differences in connectors, on spliced plant that is, the only way to tell by eyeballing it are the connector types.

Out of the 2 types, MC2 is preferable, at least in my opinion, and I have built/spliced/turned on systems using entirely MC2, the last biggest project being Wayne NJ Cablevision system. Hope this is the info you are looking for and helps you out.

Dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
This is CABL.com posting #303934. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbrek
Posted in reply to: MC2 vs Fused Discs by 2gig
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: MC2 vs Fused Discs olyteddy 6/3/2010 1:01:27 AM
Re: MC2 vs Fused Discs hookman 81 5/28/2010 10:47:51 PM
Re: MC2 vs Fused Discs Gary Vest 5/25/2010 9:02:21 PM
Re: MC2 vs Fused Discs SpeedLasher 5/25/2010 4:10:58 PM