Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Serious questions for Installers/Company Owner

I'm a fairly new owner. I have about 15 techs now. I just got done doing about the largest "backcharge" i've ever hit my guys with. 

The HSP i work for hits me with backcharges every week without fail. There is a schedule. SIN30, SIN90, DPP, Equipment, etc etc etc. up to 20% of my gross. 

Without passing on charges to techs, I'd be out of business and all 15 techs, dispatchers, and my supervisor would be out of work. If a DECA doesn't respond, I get charged. Why should you get paid as if it did respond? 

Your job fails a QA. I have to pay someone to fix it. Either my QA guy, or if he doesn't hit that job, I'll be backcharged for the fail. Why shouldn't you be charged to have it repaired?

I hate backcharges. I hated them as I tech and I hate passing them on to techs now. I eat as many as I possibly can. There is a point though where if I don't backcharge, then the tech keeps doing the same thing wrong just because he can. He can hook that DECA up, not get a response and get paid. He can do crap work, cause a SIN and get paid. 

As for new guys in the industry, I've had some but most don't last. Startup is a major issue. Between a truck, meters, tools, etc it IS like starting your own business. In some areas I've noticed it's nearly impossible to find someone to pass a background. Guys "forget" they were convicted of felony possession. How is that possible to forget?

I see most of my guys range in gross pay between 800 and 1500. Newer techs at the lower end, older more experienced guys hover around the top end. 
This is CABL.com posting #364101. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGSL
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Serious questions for Installers/Company Owner cablemn86 10/10/2014 9:16:57 AM