Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Serious questions for Installers/Company Owner

A lot of people don't want to work anymore, period. A lot of them can't pass the stringent background checks etc. and have no work ethic and want to make that $75k right out of the box doing 2 jobs a day-isn't going to happen, so they quit and bad mouth the industry. 

A lot of contrating companies out there, NOT ALL of THEM, have screwed a lot of subs/technicians...and that leaves a very bad taste in their mouth for any OTHER decent contracting company, and word of mouth spreads fast in an area. 

Companies on both sides of the SAT and Cable side will always NEED contractors IMO. There is a cycle they go through, every once in awhile they start letting contractors go, saying, they'll do everything in-house. Then, after awhile, they realize, they can't handle the work load. By that time, said contracting companies have a bad taste in their mouth and say, well, we shut down that state because you kicked us out, and they won't return. They let all of their GOOD technicians go, who either left the industry or moved away, so work force is again hard to find. Training is crucial, and you can't learn EVERYTHING in 30 days of training or less.

Just watch the employment section of this site. The amount of help wanted ads has INCREASED, per diems are being offered, as well as sign on bonuses etc. WHY? NO ONE WANTS TO BE A CABLE GUY ANYMORE for various reasons we could all list.

I see the same happening in the plumbing, electrical and other fields when I talk to others. The TRADESMAN like careers have a hard time lately finding any RECRUITS be it for various reasons, mostly, I think, because people don't want to work hard anymore.  I get a kick out of radio employment ads lately, the phrase "if you like to show up to work on time..." is in their recruitment pitch? Really? Isn't that work ethic?

Prices are what they are. I'll be the first to say, cost of living has gone up, gas, tools, the price of milk etc...and pay has come down-that's the way it is. I can tell you when I started doing SAT with Pegasus, an 18" Dish install, one box paid $130.....what is it now?

BUT, I'm actually seeing pay come UP over the last year due to lack of work force. Even in-house is raising their pay for experienced cable/SAT technicians, because they can't find experienced ones anymore, they are getting harder and harder to find in our industries (again, watch the employment section of this site, and/or craigs in your area). They can't even get GREEN applicants, no one applies.....

I have always had great luck with companies, others have not over the last 20 years or so.

This site has helped me a lot over the years.
This is CABL.com posting #363377. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGG5
There are 2 replies to this message