Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cargebacks, Workmans Comp, and General Liabili

I can't give any advice on the chargebacks but the GL is a different story.  You have to approach it like an owner of any other business does.  GL for most is major malfunction get of jail free card.  If your in business to stay in business you use these like WC in the best long term interest.  If you or other techs make smaller claims on this 2-5%(the employees/contractors payroll) policy then eventually you will pay a higher % as a group.  So in essence it affects everyone or the employer for the few mistakes.  Ever see those signs at plants "xxxx days without an injury"?  WC can be like a hole in a boat, robbing you(contractor/or employee) or your employer of profits.  Its a trickle down affect.  When employed for a chemical plant our raises and bonuses were predominately related to performance+costs related directly to these two margins.  Most large businesses opt to pay for repairs on many things that are covered under insurance.  Its a numbers game.  If I have 10 claims for $300 bucks and ins goes up 2% on 10 $50,000 a year employees or contractor it costs 10k xtra in insurance.  Makes more sense to pay the 10 $300 dollar claims and save the company $7,000 that year.  You can get your own policy which should make the prime happy.  They, GL usually run 3-5 hundred bucks a year.  WC is a different beast, cert that covers part time employee not you typically runs 750-1250 year.  They will assign a point value and that is the % paid on each contractor or employees wage.  Have seen WC as much as 17% for a lineman.  So a contractor that made 1500 the WC was 255 bucks+ GL%.  As far as who pays what, when n where that is something you and your boss have to come to terms on.  Relative experiences makes me biased and my opinion will do you no good.  Keep in mind most things are negotiable even with the cable companies.  Hope this helps on perspective.  Best of luck.
This is CABL.com posting #303578. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbq8A
Posted in reply to: Re: Cargebacks, Workmans Comp, and General Liabili by Splicer Life 4me
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Cargebacks, Workmans Comp, and General Liabili Splicer Life 4me 5/21/2010 1:30:17 PM