Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Sweeping at 860 and QR cable

yes dood, all splicers should remove the plastic film before they slide the fitting on the cable.. lemco or jackson tool makes a center conductor cleaner,, (its all plastic,has plastic beveled edge blades,and has orange plastic handles)
whats happening here by not cleaning the centerconductor is that the teeth in the fitting are not penatrating thru the film and they are not making a good contact with the centerconductor thus makes it a sweepers nightmare,, my splicers dont roll without this tool on there truck when splicing t-10 times cable... disclaimer: commscope is the my fav coax to splice,also,the heat theory,, this method works well and is very effective timewise,but im thinking charter wont like the fact that there alot of there cored coax has a heat tempered centerconductor (but i dunno),,also: to the splicer that uses his thumb onna hot centerpin, when your thumb reachs a medium well chargrilled status, is that when the day ends ? :)
hope i could help

>make sure you use the jacket stripper when splicing
>
>>Are any of you splicers or sweepers having trouble sweeping at 860 mhz QR-type cable? Here in the Charter system, if we do not clean the fine mylar film away from the inside of the outer aluminum jacket, it won't sweep. We are having to use small screwdrivers which have been partially sharpened to help move it back out of the way. The coring tools do not remove this fine film. We have tried various coring tools. Once in a while, one might remove the mylar. Most of the time, it doesn't. It surely is slowing us splicers down. We understand from one sweeper that there is not a problem until after it passes 800 mhz. Would like some feedback on possible solution other than what we are doing.
B2
This is CABL.com posting #56093. Tiny Link: cabl.co/moKT
Posted in reply to: Re:Sweeping at 860 and QR cable by wllm175
There are 0 replies to this message