Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: 6.4 diesel truck problems????

7.3's are the bomb, and mines pretty worn. I may have low compression on a cylinder, and it has for years. I really think its a injector that fails sometime, but he is the most trusted ford diesel around these parts.  I keep it serviced and don't worry about, I can still run 75-80 (but I don't)if I want with a fiber trailer. Cold weather can be tough on it if its not plugged up at night, but no problem if it is.
Unless you tow this trailer everyday, it's not really a issue.  Just go a little slower and save alot of money. "Unless you have atleast 4,000 laying around to spend everytime your truck goes in the shop, better leave alone, and those will be frequent" this was a quote a mechanic old my about 12 years ago in regards to a 6.o.  Well now those can be fixed, atleast in some states that don't test emissions. I was told in 2011 at a ford dealership, Don't buy any ford diesels after mid 2003 when the last 7.3s were made. 
If idling is the main issue  with these new engines ( but I'm there are more issues).  The same mechanic that worked on mine told me the same thing that these new engines were killed by idling.  But food for thought.  We used to put pony motors on the booms. It doesn't take much of a  motor to run a boom 5-6 hp will do just fine, 10-13 hp is fine but a little bit of overkill.  Wire it to start and stop from the boom. Our old trucks we tapped the gas tank and the pony motor pulled from the trucks tank, via a regulated electric fuel pump. We kept the motors at half idle or less like the old onans. May use more air filters and plugs, but the motors didn't wear out .
I have heard of the rules againest diesel trucks with gas motors mounted to the chassis yadda ...yadda... ...yadda... It works great and its reasonable in regards to cost.  Good luck and be safe
This is CABL.com posting #379603. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKUN
Posted in reply to: Re: 6.4 diesel truck problems???? by chicago splicing
There are 0 replies to this message