Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Motorola Node - Return Path

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you have an OPTICAL attenuator on the output of the return laser(s) in the node that feeds to a return receiver(s) in the headend.

If this is correctly understood, and you remove the optical attenuator in the node at the output of the return transmitter, your optical power will increase to the input of the return receiver in the headend thus increasing the RF output. Typically (if my memory serves me right) it would be 2dB of RF increase for every 1dB of light added and vise versa.

What type of dbM light level are you measuring at the return receiver? There is typically a window it will work in and if your dbM is within those limits, you should be OK. There is normally a DC voltage that can be measured to determine the light level without using a power meter depending on what type of return receivers you are using. I'd shoot for 0dBM as a target for best light input.

As for you having no return RF pads in the node, you should have something somewhere to attenuate the signal. What is the model of your node? They may have a small jumper across the RF pad location. Depending on your situation (if a poor design), you may need to install attenuation pads at the return RF output port at the amplifier(s) feeding the node to reduce the return RF input level at the node and may not need to reduce light depending on your dbM reading at the receiver.

The more data that you can find out and supply here, the better information can be given.

Good luck!

This is CABL.com posting #378224. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKyy
Posted in reply to: Motorola Node - Return Path by windwaterwaves
There are 0 replies to this message