Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Looking for new battery - INTERNAL BATTERY

Chicago Splicing,

I am not sure what exactly is the battery problem that they can't rapair but I will tell you about something that only a few people are aware of.

There is an INTERNAL 3.6V Lithium battery soldered to the internal circuit board. This battery "Tridan TLH-2450" is used to maintain the internal memory of the SDA-5000 (and other models) and if it fails, all memory (scans, sweep traces, testpoint compensation, ect.) will be lost when the external battery is removed, low or the unit powered off and return to the default settings.

This can be ordered on-line for about $10 or so. If you are properly trained or have the ability to solder and replace the old battery, it will fix your memory problem and salvage the old unit. Many repair facilities do not want to replace this because it is time consuming and is a pain to do so if they even have a clue how to repair it.

Many a SDA-5000 has been junked for this reason and can be found cheap. Wavetek used to replace it on new calibration and every 4 or so years as the battery will eventually die. It was not told openly to the public for obvious reasons.

I've replaced many myself and have saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the years as Wavetek would charge a minimum of $750 and up just to look at the unit.

Good luck!
This is CABL.com posting #377819. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKr1
Posted in reply to: Re: Looking for new battery for old wavetek??? by chicago splicing
There are 0 replies to this message