Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What meter do I need now for node zero upgrad

It all depends on what data the cable customer requires in the final documentation.

If you are required to do just forward and reverse sweep alignment with documented sweep graphs and signal level meter readings, you have more options. If you are required to run MER/BER and DOCSIS testing, you have to have the proper equipment to do such.

I have been out of the "rat race" for a few years chasing the sweep work, but I will tell you this. The industry (in many instances) required sweep contractors to use the DSAM on new projects. Now I understand that the DSAM is obsolete by todays standards. When JDSU/Acterna/Wavetek/WWG (or whoever they call themselves now) went to the DSAM, it required the SDA-5500 in the headend. This is the SAME headend transmitter used with the SDA-5000.

The SDA-5000 in my opinion is the easiest and best sweep reciever for field use but has limitations compared to the DSAM and newer versions. You will not be able to do MER/BER testing with the basic unit and not any up-to-date DOCSIS testing. The SDA-5000 allowed you to download stored graphs and traces to a PC or laptop. The DSAM required you to download the data to JDSU's server and needed a purchased license and other non-user friendly items as compared to the SDA-5000. At least the "button-pusher" sweep tech couldn't cheat and manipulate the sweep trace with the DSAM...but that is another story!

Long story short, if they have the SDA-5500 transmitter in the headend, and don't need major testing beyond forward & return sweep traces, you can get the SDA-5000 cheap on-line. In today's world, sweep books may be obsolete but the results will be the same for alignment procedures. The SDA-5000 allows you to transmit a CW carrier at the node for link optimization. You just have to find out the requirements needed to determine the equipment needed.

Good luck!

This is CABL.com posting #377754. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKqY
Posted in reply to: What meter do I need now for node zero upgrade?? by chicago splicing
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: What meter do I need now for node zero upgrad 1FARMER 10/15/2018 12:26:34 PM