Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Strand installation question.

While I’m sure there is an engineering formula that will tell you how to calculate tensioning strand, in the 20 + years I climbed the poles and built the shit I never used it. We jigged it out attached to the poles and jacked it taut. We did our final sag when we were lashing back. If the span was sagged to low we jacked it tighter, if it was good we tightened the three-bolt and moved on. It was all done by eye, something you learn by doing. Hopefully you have a good experienced foreman or hand that is teaching you. If you are only hanging a 48 count at 400' you’ll get about 7’ of sag at mid-span 300’ about 4’ at 200’ around 18”. These are just ballpark figures. Sag is also affected by temp. Just like coax you’ll have more sag in the heat of summer than the cold of winter. But the bottom line is until you’re lashing back you will not know it the strand is tight and your sag is good. I hope this answered your question. Forgive us old men and our funny stories, but after you spend a lifetime doing a job you’re bound to pick up a few. As far as the jokes, when you’ve done the job long enough you’ll be able to pick out the tidbits of useful knowledge that are mixed in among the eloquent pros.    

If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #376927. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbKdD
Posted in reply to: Re: Strand installation question. by tomkolb2
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Strand installation question. danimal 7/15/2018 3:22:36 AM