Create your free account now! Sign up

Cable Linemen...get no respect

I've been in this industry for over 50 years (now retired), when I started with Jerrold Electronic's construction division back in 1965.... up until my last coaxial job in 2000...nothing had changed.  If you were out hitting the sticks....you were looked on as a roving transiet Tramp Lineman.  Never treated like the power or telephone lineman, never paid like them or receive the benefits.  We were laughed at for hitting 25-40 or more sticks a day...The cable lineman never....ever got any respect from the system owner and in some instance...his own company.   Cheap wages, Cheap Motels, Fast Foods, Cheap Booze and nothing in return except "Hard Working Days and Sleepless Nights"
As I see today...2016...Not a dam thing has changed
All the years I ran my own company, I always looked out for my crews first and tried to provide the best wages providing gainful employee and long term jobs for their family security.
Today...it's every one for their self's...give me..give me....give me.   
All you seasoned Dawg's out there, the ones with all the experience, should be a band of brothers and "Demand" this industry starts paying a decent wage with benefits.
I've been from the top of the pole to the bottom of the hole and am still looked at as living the life of a "Tramp Lineman"......have a safe day and a better tomorrow  !!     "MicroMan"
This is CABL.com posting #369051. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbIaB
There are 7 replies to this message
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect dmt747400 7/22/2016 12:03:37 PM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect H.C.BOLER 4/29/2016 1:21:48 PM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect Trey9007 4/13/2016 9:42:05 PM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect oldlinedawg 2/16/2016 3:55:42 PM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect century machine 2/8/2016 6:37:35 PM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect Lightmaster 2/8/2016 11:26:39 AM
Re: Cable Linemen...get no respect danimal 2/8/2016 8:53:04 AM