Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Google-prime and you???? Hay??

I ve been farming since 2002.  I take all my money from the farm an piss it away in cable.  Thats a joke. I was up to 280 acres last year.  I have 109 cows. I recieve no help from the government currently.
 Alot of farming payouts is highly misunderstood.  The payments are based on yield over time or "basis". Really what this does is drive up land rent as the tenants, who probably are or were farmers will want more for the land.  And basically I think the information is used to work againest the farmers,  You report planted acres.   You report the harvest totals.  What is sold right off is recorded. not hard to figure what is being stored. This gives the people you sell to the upperhand in setting prices. I think it is a corrupt system, others call it the market.
I still have to insure all Farm vehicles (not tractors) that are public highways.
As far as hay.  Enjoy that cutting.  We are in drought here in S.C.  I have had hayfields make1/3 bale to a acre on the low side. to 8.2 bales to a acre in a cuttting.  * large rd bales to a acre.  8  rd bales/acre is the average  over 3 cuttings Year in and year out.   You obviously square baled yours if it made 25k.  I was told by old farmers in 3 states I couldn't make a living with hay.  I thought they were wrong,  I think they knew the math better than I did.    Me personally I would rather watch the cows eat it.  The horse people act like they are buying a Ferrarri. and they could care less what it costs to produce it, And they are fairweather as heck. they have no loyalty. LOok out for your loyal customers. and get your price to the rest.  Usually everyone has hay or noone has hay.  They will play that to their advantage, and you should too. I usually tell them the other competitors "should know what their hay is worth"
Farming is a good life style. Not too many picking it up anymore. Good luck with the hay
This is CABL.com posting #367189. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbHGz
Posted in reply to: Re: Google-prime and you by hatteras
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Google-prime and you???? Hay?? hatteras 7/18/2015 6:06:34 PM
Re: Google-prime and you???? Hay?? hatteras 7/18/2015 6:03:35 PM
Re: Google-prime and you???? Hay?? hatteras 7/18/2015 5:53:48 PM