Create your free account now! Sign up

A Small World Cable TV

I was talking to a friend last night and I told him I was back here on the bar and he replyed I know. We then got to talking . I met Jim in the early eightys in Fairfax Va . working for ASI (American Spliceco Inc.) we have been friends every since . I call Jim Mr. Impossible because he completes work that most would thumb their nose at and say it can't be done. In our conversation last night Jim reminded me of some things from the past , thats what prompted this story and its title . If you have been in cable tv for a long time you learn to try not to burn bridges because sooner or later here pulls on a project someone you haven't seen for twenty years. This story took place in 1989 . Jim and I had been working for Clark Cable (A company that is no more) in Florence SC , on hurricane damage . Cost plus , was over with and I pulled out and flew south for the winter . I went to West Palm Beach with my family and was staying off Blue Heron Blvd. just across A1A just before you cross the intercoastal bridge to Singer Island . Me and my family and some friends were grilling out on the patio. It had just turned dark . We hear this great noise of cars crashing . I immediately ran to the street to see what had happened . There was a bucket truck upside down in the intersection of A1A and blue heron. Equipment was scattered everywhere . I took off running toward the wreck to see a man kick the windshield out and stumble to his feet . It was at that time I realised it was Jim. I ran up and said what the f.ck happened . The signal light was flashing for Blue Heron and completly dead for A1A , a car had ran the light and run up under the rigt rear of Jims bucket and flipped it over. He was lucky to be alive, his truck was totaled . I helped him clean up his things and took him to my house , he moved in with me and my wife and kids . Now I sometimes wonder was that night fate or cowinsedence( I know its probably not spelled right I'm a linedog not an english teacher) Now this accident took place about 800 miles from Carolina where we live . Neither of us knew the other was in Florida . We have been good friends all the years since , thats why I say cable tv is a small world . I talk to alot of people in our industry and some tell me not to write here its mainly installers on the bar now and I answer so...... they serve a specific function to our industry , my hat goes off to anyone who has to deal with costumers on a daily basis . Without installers,salesman and the rest, we in the construction end wouldn't be needed. I just would like to see it like it used to be here a brother/sisterhood . Hell we were all greens at some point . Thanks for reading my story hope you enjoyed it and remember Cable TV is a small world...... Till next time....."WHITFIELD"
Live Like Your Dieing , If You Can't Run with the BigDogs Stay on the Porch . Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Do Today .Tomorrow May Never Come.Be Honest That Will Earn You Respect . You Get Paid to do It Once not Twice .
This is CABL.com posting #365352. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbHcW
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: A Small World Cable TV Fitzgerald 2/7/2015 5:14:31 PM
Re: A Small World Cable TV Shane FOUNTAIN 1/16/2015 7:56:28 PM