Create your free account now! Sign up

Burning a Pole/Stick

One thing you will always remember is burning a stick. The worst fall I ever took and thank God I was young was in Cinn. Ohio in 1981. I was working for Jackson Comm. out of a flatbed. Bucket truck what was that we worked off hooks all day, put them on in the morning took them off when it was getting dark. It was all new build because cable didn't exist before we got there. Spliceco had pulled out and went to Texas (Company I started with) to work for spliceco you had to cut a minimum of 32 taps a day 16 sticks on that dual cube system back in the day. God thinking back makes me feel old. Now to the story being as I laid some foreground. It was in a sub division I was about 20 ft. up . Two young boys walked past me up on the pole and looked up and said Mr. your gonna fall off that pole. I laughfed and said to them young men I climb all day every day Im not gonna fall, just don't get below me when I'm coming down . I don't know if what they said caused it or what , second step down I took out a piece of pole about 2 inches wide six ft long and down I went "QUICK" Thump , I landed on my tool pouch and elbo I still recall driving that flatbed with a four speed to the hospital because I had to shift it with my left arm , I thought my right arm was broke ,my elbo was frogged so big I thought it was a compound fracture. Took me out of work for 4 days. I've seen people that grab the pole while falling and had to pull giant splinters out of there chest , creosote not good . You quickly learn to wipe the sweat off your face with the back of your hand if you like having skin on it. Share some stories men/ladies as there are female hooks out there. Whats the worst pole you ever burned??? "WHITFIELD" BigDuck
Live Like Your Dieing , If You Can't Run with the BigDogs Stay on the Porch . Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Do Today .Tomorrow May Never Come.Be Honest That Will Earn You Respect . You Get Paid to do It Once not Twice .
This is CABL.com posting #361939. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGjT
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: Burning a Pole/Stick skidmark167 7/12/2014 8:25:27 PM
Re: Burning a Pole/Stick Clean Splice 7/12/2014 11:42:40 AM
Re: Burning a Pole/Stick oldlinedawg 5/30/2014 10:21:28 PM
Re: Burning a Pole/Stick WildBill63 5/26/2014 12:38:44 PM
Re: Burning a Pole/Stick bigduck1 5/25/2014 5:19:23 PM