Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Installing cable versus installing satellite

I only know satellite and I can only guess how cable is.  Cable to me from what I have read and I am probably WAY off.  Is going house to house in the same town and just running cable in the house to hook up a modem or phone.  You might have to run a drop from the pole, but past that point is another cable guys job.  Like I said thats probably not true because I really dont know.

Satellite You travel to site and you have to survey to make sure you can place your dish where it has a line of site and close to an approved ground source.Then you run your lines to 1 reciever or 4 different ones depending on the setup.  But don't forget you do have to assemble the dish!  You have to configure the reciever boxes.  And I hear you now have to make sure the recievers are connected to a broadband or phone connection.

So with satellite you still possibly have to deal with phone if the broadband connection is not there.

HSP they will want you to run pretty hard or they used to.  Depending on how populated of an area you could be in the same city or county like you would with cable.  That also depends on who is doing your routing.  Most companies when it comes to Directv and DISH want to route you how they see fit.  Which I would guess cable would do too.

Retailer - You can haggle with these guys a little and get more money out of them.  Most retailers I have delt with didn't have a lot of work.  Multiple relations you have to build.  If you have a 40ft ladder it is really easy to make extra money with them as well.  I always charged more for the install.  Or charged them to show up with it on site.  Either way it is a foot in the door.

As for the other guys mentioned I have no idea.

As far as pay is concerned the pay is pretty much the same across the board for satellite.  Doesnt matter where you live.

This is CABL.com posting #360911. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbF3j
Posted in reply to: Re: Installing cable versus installing satellite by EshoreJoe
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Installing cable versus installing satellite EshoreJoe 3/24/2014 12:41:50 AM