Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: switch digital

Sparky -

Basically the odd ball problems like service group mismatches, mini caroulsel problems, source problems ect should be worked out, as long as the headend test each service group before moving customers onto the service.

I work in the headend and support system and service guys and 90% of what they run into are QAM health problems or boxes not in two-way.

I would try to get a list of freqs that the headend is using for SDV, that will aid in troubleshooting it in the house. Example if a channel is not coming in, is it really SDV or just a standard broadcast digital channel. I get a lot of calls were the tech is confused on which are SDV. They think they are troubleshooting an SDV problem when they are really looking a broadcast digital.

With a new launch it's very important for someone to be watching bandwidth usage per service group, some tailoring to what channels should be on the SDV platform may need to be adjusted. High viewing channels may need to be pushed back to a standard BC QAM to eliminate over subscribed service group(s). That shouldn't be the service/installers guys concern as long as headend is doing their job with that.

As far as levels being 4-5 db off on the SDV carriers compared to adjacent channels like the other poster mentioned should not be the case. It can happen, if the headend hasn't aligned the input to the transmitter properly. The headend should be looking for at least FCC specs (3dB between adjacent channels), we shoot for +/- 1dB. With Bigband/Arris product that we use, the worse I've ever seen is about 2dB across the entire bank of QAMs coming out of their edge qam product. If you see anything higher than 3dB between adjacents, you should report that so it can be fixed

This is CABL.com posting #359542. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFHe
Posted in reply to: switch digital by Sparky17
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: switch digital Sparky17 12/30/2013 2:12:25 PM