Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: DTA Companies in NC

I'm not a installer.But I have made my living over 20 years as being self employed.  But the problem in the business is too many wet behind the ears subs, super subs, and primes, getting greedier and greedier.  
They figure the work like you did.  At optimum numbers I would I call it.  Numbers that can't be achieved all the time, if very often at all.

Example:  A supervisor told me once to go 10-15 "other" pole transfers a day.  Look at all the money you will make. This is in a part of S.C. that is full of tree'd out easement.

Problem:IT CAN'T BE DONE Atleast it can't be done correctly.

Reality: You can kill yourself on poor prices and still be broke. They will make money regardless if you do or not.  Especially if you are a Sub Contractor.

Response: " Wow if you say it a little faster maybe I can get more done. Its always  easier to say it than it is too do it"

Solution: For me don't do them, or any other work I can't make a living doing.  If I can't make a living heck I don't care if it ever gets done. Alot of the jobs anymore COSTS more to drive to them , than is paid to do them.

Now if you are making money that is great. Congratulations. I am happy for you and all that do.  Enjoy it !!!  It may take a while but it will get cheaper.  Especially if you and others keep putting those type numbers for everyone to see.
That is the nature of business.
Pay your taxes, Leave all the bad temptations alone, save some money and Treat people right especially if you are making money off them. And by that don't demean or belittle what they do, so you can try to pay them less.  Never ask or tell someone to do a job that they lose money on so you or your boss can make money.  If you price something, it is a good idea to know what the work is, be able to do work, and have done the work yourself .  But usually these type of responses are from people that make their money off other people's backs.
And if you are out of town working 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, you should to make $3,000 in my opinion.  As said in a earlier post something similiar to $ 2,000 isn't alot of money anymore.
As to people living in the past. Alot of us have been in the business long enough to have a past.  Maybe you have too.? IDK We are all trying to make a living. Myself and others that have been in business alot longer than myself have seen fly by nighters come and go.
 I have been around this business almost all my life in one form or another. My dad was a contractor when I was a baby.
One thing he told me years ago " people will only pay so much for labor"  and " that the man that works the pencil will win everytime over the one that works his back"  Boy I can say for sure he was right.
Good luck to you and others making a killing.

This is CABL.com posting #358128. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFkq
Posted in reply to: Re: DTA Companies in NC by RandJCable2005
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: DTA Companies in NC Shane FOUNTAIN 10/13/2013 9:59:35 PM
Re: DTA Companies in NC catvdoneright 10/13/2013 6:36:43 PM
Re: DTA Companies in NC idaho 10/13/2013 11:12:05 AM
Re: DTA Companies in NC Joe50 10/13/2013 10:52:09 AM