Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Attic to basement outside wall fish.

My first recommendation is very much against doing this. If the customer is dead set on doing it this way, then have them hire a drywall guy to open up a channel in the wall for you to route your cable on both floors. Don't open up the drywall yourself, they will make a damage claim against you once they get the drywall repairman's quote so they get it repaired for free. This also shows you they are willing to commit to having this done correctly. It can be done, it just can't be done for cheap.

If you are insistent on tackling this without opening up the drywall, here's what I suggest:  Locate a stud in the wall of the first floor and cut in a wallplate size opening right up against the stud, trying not to disturb the insulation in the process. Put a piece of piano wire or guitar string up through the ceiling to mark the exact location where they stud meets the top plate. Go into the attic and drill a good size hole into the top plate. Make sure not to go wild and disturb the insulation and get it coiled around your bit. Instead, just break the wood surface and stop. If you do it right, you should be able to peer into the hole and see the stud edge and hopefully a decent sized gap between the fiberglass and the stud. Often, there is a 1/4" gap, but regardless, adjacent to the stud is the path of least resistance. Drop your glow rod down this channel and use it to pull the coax through. I don't recommend fish tape because if it catches the insulation and pulls it out of place, your job has just gotten difficult to impossible. Even a fishing line with a small weight on it is better. If the customer doesn't want a blank wallplate, then offer them a functional outlet instead.

The next step, getting down to the basement will be the hard part. How thick is the subfloor? Is it just 2x8's or is it a trussed flooring system? Is there a drop ceiling in the basement or is it drywalled? Do they want the TV outlet down low in the basement or do they want a wall mount TV? What is the construction of the basement wall? Is it poured concrete or is there a framed wall in front of the foundation wall? Also, what is the flooring finish in the room above the basement? Is it carpet or anything else that can be pulled back to reveal the substrate flooring? Also, watch out for hidden dangers such as pipe, wiring, HVAC ductwork, etc.

I did a wallfish in my own home from the attic to the first floor of my two story home to run a structured wire system (2 coax, 2 cat6) to each room of my home. The first floor was was not directly below the 2nd floor wall, it was offset by about 18 inches and used a trussed flooring system. I was able to pull back my carpet, cut the plywood substrate in the upstairs bedroom and route the cabling into the wall below. Then I just added some 2x4s to the truss system to support the piece of plywood I had to put back. Then I caulked around it and put the carpet back. I used a kicker I rented from Home Depot to put it back. Of course, I wasn't dealing with insulation at all. That said, it was nearly half a day's work for that one downstairs outlet. Labor-wise, I would have charged $300+ for what I did, then add material and equipment costs.

You should be willing to quote the customer enough to do this and make it work. I would call some LICENSED drywall guys and get quotes on repairing a channel cut on two floors and possibly a 1'x1' ceiling cut. Add his worst case scenario to the quote you deliver the customer. Also, see if the customer has any leftover paint from that wall. If not, add painters to the quote. That way, drywall repair and paint is already anticipated and if you avoid it, you just pocketed some extra bread.
This is CABL.com posting #355024. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbEwm
Posted in reply to: Attic to basement outside wall fish. by ctek24
There are 0 replies to this message