Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable Contractor

I hear exactly what he is saying about wanting to get every penny from your hard work, I also understand that the companies out there need to make money.  As far as Insurance, sure you will have to pay for insurance, but workmans Comp can be passed back to the subs that you have under you.  I have worked as a sub and had to pay my portion of the Workers Comp.  Depending on how large of an operation you are running you could work as your own supervisor or project manager to cut down on some of the cost, and while you are already in the office during the morning you would be able to handle the warehouse needs yourself as well.  Better yet go in with a partner and between the two of you, you should be able to handle these duties.  As far as funding until the money comes in, you can use a factor to float the money on a small percentage.  A factor can float the money on 3 -5% of the invoice total so that you don't need an excess of money laying around to cover payroll.  Materials are usually covered by the prime so that is a non issue in cable.  As for the printers and paper these are normal business costs.  You can't just go into a contract with a prime without having some money to spend but in the world of contractors some of the cost can be put back on the subs since you are giving them a paycheck.  Everyone is so quick to say that getting a contract is a bad idea and that you will be losing money but there are enough people out there doing it that are making money.  I say  if you want to get a contract do your homework save some money and go get it.  My only advise is that you are fair to your guys, pay them a decent wage for their work, and pay them on time.  Make sure that you are able to provide them with plenty of work so that they can provide for their families.  If you do this they will treat you well and you will have a successful career.
This is CABL.com posting #350963. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDsR
Posted in reply to: Re: Cable Contractor by MicroMan
There are 0 replies to this message