Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: True Wave

Hard question to answer on the surface.

What type of Truewave? Truewave Reach or Truewave RS?

Is it all fibers in the ribbon? Middle or outside's? Same fibers or random?

What is the customers bidi spec and how far are you from that?

Does the customer have a "burn rule" in affect?

Is the loss of suspect fiber(s) the same @1310 as it is @1550?

If not, what is the spread?

Do you have the ability to look at the splice @1490?

Here's a thought....No doubt you've heard the term "macro bending". If loss is high @1550  and low @1310 then look for bends. You know, tie wraps. kinks, twisted ribbions, etc. Larger mode fields (1550nm is larger than 1310nm) are less sensitive to lateral offset during splicing, but they are more sensitive to losses incurred by bending during installation or in the cabling process. 

Have you tried cutting off 5' of cable and re-splicing? Worst case scenario I know but I have been instances when splicing LEAF fibers, or other NZ DS fibers, that the only way to cure the high loss problem was to cutoff 10 feet and re-splice the location. This is a typical manufacturers suggestion if all else fails.

Have you contacted the technical department @OFS for further guidance?

Does not make huge difference but Truewave fibers have a slightly different index of refraction. Make sure OTDR is setup correctly to reflect this. Truewave also attenuates a little higher than SMF28.  .22db/km @1550

Index of Refraction:
OFS Truewave Reach
n=1.471 @1310
n=1.470 @1550

Might try this. Break down the suspect fibers and burn them discrete. If the high loss goes away then most likely the ribbon machine(s) are not preforming properly. If the problem still exists then it's the characteristics of the glass itself. Refer to cutoff procedure above.

I probably raised more questions than I answered.

Fiber. Got to love it!
This is CABL.com posting #350579. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDmF
Posted in reply to: True Wave by WeeWah
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: True Wave WeeWah 11/24/2012 11:53:01 AM