Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Storm workers

Back in my cable days when we did line-item billing, I made it a point that I would never go up a pole without a new drop in hand. It eliminated bad drops as ever being something I would have to TS, eliminated multiple trips up the pole, I could set up my loops and tags on the ground before going up the ladder. Aside from the fact that it saved time on every job, it also meant that I would be able to bill additional money on every pole job I went to work on. If the drop looked brand new, I wouldn't do it.

Given the nature of the storm work, it appears you have to create every order for every drop you replace. If that is the case, some techs might not go up a pole without hanging at least two drops and creating the work orders for it. I suspect that the other techs are doing something to the same effect. Most poles probably serve 4 houses. Sounds like someone could knock out 4 of the 10 drop minimum out on just one pole. Not saying that it is ethical, but just that it might be what is happening.

If the MSO wanted to control costs, they could have someone driving street to street, identifying addresses that have downed drops, sagging drops, etc. What is more than likely the case is that the MSO is probably going to turn over every one of these drop replacements to their insurance company. If that's the case, the MSO has a way of getting every questionable drop replaced on the insurance company's dime. I would say help them out and start replacing more drops.
This is CABL.com posting #350484. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDk8
Posted in reply to: Storm workers by Djones
There are 0 replies to this message