Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Want to start my own contract company

A lot of people start their own companies with the noblest of intentions to take care of their techs. To that extent, I would say to make sure to back your business up with a lot of money so that you can meet payroll even if you never get paid yourself. Keep in mind that if you don't get paid, that is not your techs' problems, it is your problem only and you can't pass that on. So be able to meet payroll regardless of your income streams.

I would suggest getting a fulfillment contract straight from DirecTV if you can to eliminate other hands in the pot. However, back that up with a retailer account so that your techs have a way to make money for the occasional situation where they get a sale from a neighbor of their current install, etc. In fact, you should develop brochures that your techs can give out that they can put their phone numbers on so they can tell their customers that the best way to ensure their friends get a good install is to call them, not DirecTV. Overall, you need to find ways to get more money into your techs' hands because if you want pick of the litter, you have to be that company that all the techs are trying to get into. That means being reliable and having plenty of ways for them to make money. Most techs are capable of doing other jobs such as installing ceiling fans, very basic electrical if taught such as fixing a hot-neutral reverse electrical outlet. So, find out what your state requirements are for you to be able to do that kind of work and get on board with that so that your techs can lawfully do some side projects. Example: your company charges $90 to put up a ceiling fan and the tech gets $60. Only takes about an hour and you can include such services in that brochure mentioned earlier.

Finally, if you really want to create something innovative to get your techs really invested in your company's success, consider an employee-owned business model. Basically, you create a co-op where each employee gets a vote. Any excess profits can be distributed according to hours worked, etc. This puts your employees in a situation where they benefit directly from positive impacts made to the company. You won't see stealing of supplies being tolerated by techs as it reduces their split of the company money. Slacking techs won't be tolerated by fellow techs since they can bring down company numbers and subsequent incentives. You would just want to structure it so that you get bonuses based on company performance as well just as the CEO of any publicly traded company is. This model would likely make your company the top shop because employees wouldn't tolerate a lot of the crap that some techs get away with.
This is CABL.com posting #349627. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbC7j
Posted in reply to: Want to start my own contract company by satdude1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Want to start my own contract company DigiCommSystems 10/29/2012 9:12:51 PM