Create your free account now! Sign up

Site update 5/28/12

As always, I've tried to focus on the utility of the site overall. Nothing gets changed for the sake of change itself, and no unnecessary doo-dads and bling added where it can be avoided. So even while everything looks completely different, upon closer inspection it should all be very familiar.

Since the last major overhaul in 2009, the Internet has changed a great deal. Social networking has taken off, new devices like iPads and tablets are much more common and smartphones are significantly better. The most used browser today, Google Chrome, had only just been introduced back then. This update was sorely needed to keep up with the changing times.

The biggest change is the page layout itself. Where before one would visit the main page and access subpages from there, that is all gone now. Every page is now separate unto itself. While the subpage format was efficient and familiar, it does not lend itself well at all to the way the Web has come to work. It had to go. Much of that function has been replaced with dynamic content; for instance, forum posts load into the page instead of a separate subpage.

Another change is the "locked" page width. Most sites today use this format because people tend to have several windows open on their computers and prefer not needing to use the full screen for one site. This format also allows for a compact version for tablets and smartphones without having to significantly alter how the site works. A non-locked width format is still available. Click the Select Format link in the bottom-left corner below.

Tablets and phones are more convenient to use with the Compact layout. In addition to removing subpages, menus and other effects that were drop-down or required hovering have been removed and replaced with easy to touch-navigate buttons. Both iPad and Android have been tested and appear to work well. 

Many other improvements like the greatly expanded search facility, advanced editor (loaded only when needed), and probably hundreds of things I've worked on and forgotten since... I'm sure there will be many problems that pop up so please let me know here or via pm or email. I'm sure I'll be busy.

This is CABL.com posting #344308. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbBJw
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Site update 5/28/12 1FARMER 5/30/2012 4:12:45 PM
Re: Site update 5/28/12 linedawg 5/29/2012 7:47:53 PM
Re: Site update 5/28/12 badgerman27 5/29/2012 4:09:03 PM
Re: Site update 5/28/12 uknowme2 5/29/2012 10:08:42 AM
Re: Site update 5/28/12 Toast 5/29/2012 5:59:31 AM
Re: Site update 5/28/12 gococks 5/29/2012 5:51:25 AM