Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: .

I withdrew my initial input because forum moderator and other users are mistaking my factual comments as “attack” or “rant” on a defenseless individual.  My only complaint for this company is that they still owe me money and did not pay me on time and in full for 451 poles. If you want details…please be patient and read me out(very long). I will not mention any names. I will give my input/experience working for a company operating publicly and soliciting employees on this website... I worked for this company doing the Make-Ready Engineering work. If you think you could come plow through Kansas City measuring more than 80 poles a day by yourself all rear easements and go to happy hour at 12 noon, you will throw a big huge red flag up on your back and be the first to get fired. I use to make 1000 dollars a day doing verifications at $6 a pole in another state for Verizon and using a Trimble. These people run a different show. I sacrificed going all the way up there from warm sunny Florida to freezing cold Kansas City. It cost me about $1500 (hotel, travel and food) to make it through to my first paycheck a month later.  I worked everyday from sun up to sun down waking up at 4:30 every single day. They won’t let you work alone (but they do have guys working alone).  A two man team is required and you have to share your profits, truck, and equipment with another individual. It's not worth it (financially). You also have to stick every single attachment at the pole and every single cable at mid-span. Lot's of information they want gathered the old fashion way and time consuming to get all that paperwork in daily and approved for billing. They tell you that you can do 80 poles a day and exaggerate. If you take your time you will be lucky to get barely 40 poles (that’s two people working together, one sticks/measures and the other does the paperwork in the car and follows you). I kid you not, there is no way you can do over 50 poles before 12 noon like they claim all by yourself doing the work exactly how they want you to do it without shortcuts or cheating. I was told that they fired a whole crew of “hotel mappers” that think they can make 2 g’s a week or more from their truck or hotel room. They want methodical engineers but they pay too low. It is not worth it, let alone split it with another individual. Most of the poles are in rear easements and you have to go around because so many fences and vegetation. Someone is cherry picking the maps. Not an accusation, but a logical conclusion.

It seems that they give you the worst poles/areas in the ghettos and woods, and take all the street side and country running. But, even if the poles were street side, when you get to the actual area to start your day, you will notice that 90 percent of these Kansas City maps are not accurate. You will spend roughly two hours surveying the map and correcting it (which you do not get paid for). Finding missing poles that are not on the map and correcting the maps by wheeling these footages and drawing it on the map (redline) before you start. You will have to correct EVERY map. There was never a map I had handed to me that was 100 accurate. Very time consuming and not a problem to correct, but we don’t get paid for that. You are working free right there running your truck to keep warm for their benefit. You will really have to hustle to make over 50 poles with your partner and go back to hotel after 8-10 hours and do 3-5 hours more work getting the data down on their maps. They will QC you 150 percent. They micro manage...Don't even think about guessing or writing down an estimate to avoid jumping a fence or inaccessible pole. Those are the poles they audit first. After you spend 8-10 hours gathering the data with your partner, you have to go back to your hotel and work an extra 4-5 hours doing make ready calculations and lots of paperwork and red line as builds. Very tedious work and so is the Verifications process at $85 a mile (you have to have a partner too). $85 for two people! per mile....not worth putting someone in your truck for that little money.  I love doing plant engineering work but this company pays low and the real problem came when I did not get paid and my 1099 form was inaccurate (under-reported). I have wrote them various times and kept this matter private but the ignoring and still haven’t paid me, has warranted this public exposure and they know it.

Now, this is not a lie or retaliation. I was looking through the opportunities and accidentally found this post. I had to respond because I became a victim of not getting paid in full and on time.

Perry Construction Company owes me money. I billed them 451 poles at $7.50 per pole (this is 451 poles between two people in one month's worth of work!)and I only got $1000 dollars. I got my 1099 and it's reported incorrectly. Perry Construction does not have the main contract for google fiber in KC. They subcontract under Atlantic Engineering Group and BPU Electric. Just another middleman banking on your back and gasoline.

You have been warned. If you see the ads, they look so lucrative and enticing for the unemployed. It would be a nice gig if you lived in
Kansas City locally. No hotel fees and you can pocket that part. But for an out of state contractor....no way is this massive amount of tedious paper work, physical field work and constant looking over your shoulder and auditing your every move, requiring expensive insurances, holding back $1000 retainer, for what? six months? you don't even install cable! Then you have to share your truck and $7.50 a pole with a partner 50/50? NOT WORTH IT.

And if any of you that didn't pay me are reading this....I DARE YOU TO CALL ME A LIAR....I am waiting and I dare you say here in this forum where you advertise/solicit employees that I am making this up

This is CABL.com posting #340306. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbAGY
Posted in reply to: . by emiliobiz
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: . jwilliams 3/1/2012 1:37:54 PM
Re: . kblbear 3/1/2012 6:25:34 AM
Re: . espn420 2/27/2012 3:10:21 PM