Create your free account now! Sign up

Be careful flagging traffic!

We had a flagger hit by a car last week. He is going to live, but is busted up bad. Our work zone was set up perfectly, signs out, cones out, 2 flaggers. (state law, this would not have happened with one flagger) We were on a long straight road with great visibility. An old man came into our work zone running 55 mph and never slowed down. the flagger behind the truck saw the car coming, looked down the road to be sure the other flagger had his side clear and before he turned back around to send the car through he was hit. He was hit so hard it knocked him onto the top of the car. This saved his life, the old man still did'nt realize he hit someone and plowed into the back of the bucket truck never hitting the brakes. when he hit the truck the car acted as a catapult throwing my guy over the back of the AP-45 bounced off the side of the truck and slid up the road 100'. The flagger traveled 248' from were the car hit him to were he rested. We were told that the man had serious health conditions and had no business driving a car, but we all work in the road and you have to stay on your toes. I have been telling my guys for years, and anyone who asks, that the most dangerous part of our job is standing on any road. Lesson of the day is never take your eyes off a car until you are absolutely sure it is under control and doing what you want it to. Just a reminder to stay sharp and watch out for dangerous drivers. Don't want anyone to ever have to go through that again, Good luck and stay safe.
This is CABL.com posting #325072. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbwJg
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: Be careful flagging traffic! carp3165 1/20/2012 8:14:16 PM
Re: Be careful flagging traffic! TheRobMan 4/25/2011 9:30:37 AM
Re: Be careful flagging traffic! WildBill63 4/24/2011 4:56:17 PM
Re: Be careful flagging traffic! basebandit5 4/8/2011 10:31:10 PM
Re: Be careful flagging traffic! Lightmaster 4/8/2011 9:21:55 PM