Create your free account now! Sign up

Dannie Russell update

Fellow Linemen--Continue to pray for Danny- He is still on life support and unconcious.
Tased Appomattox Co. Man Remains in Critical Condition
Posted: Nov 04, 2010 6:06 PM EDT

Daniel Russell with his children.Reporter: Jeremy Mills

Appomattox Co., VA - The family of an Appomattox County man is seeking answers, trying to find out why sheriff's deputies tasered him last weekend and how he ended up in cardiac arrest.

Daniel Russell, father of three, remains in intensive care at Lynchburg General Hospital. All the family knows for sure, is their loved one is still in critical condition.

The Appomattox Sheriff tells us their investigation shows the tasing was justified.

Russell remains hooked to machines, helping him survive.

"He has got significant brain damage," said Lisa Whidbee, Daniel Russell's Sister.

Family members still aren't sure how this happened.

"I don't understand why it happened and why they are being so vague. They haven't even bothered to apologize to anybody. All they'll say is that they were right for tasing him because it was within their protocol or their policy," said Whidbee.

Whidbee took pictures of her brother in his hospital bed and wants people to see them.

Sheriff Wilson Staples says officers were called to the home for domestic abuse, and tased Russell after he approached them in a threatening manner.

"In that time span, he went from walking towards them to cardiac arrest, to on a ventilator," said Whidbee.

Master Taser Instructors say tasers have been proven safe.

"The taser interrupts the signal from the brain to your hand, causing your muscles to contract," said Taser Master Instructor Lt. A.G. Martin.

Martin says they shouldn't cause heart troubles.

"Taser has done tests where they've put the probes so that the pacemaker is in between and it has had no adverse affect on the pacemaker," said Lt. Martin.

"I'm all for tasers when tasers are necessary but I think in this day and time, tasers are used because they can be used. If they were in the rights to do what they did, then fine, just tell me about it, don't just blow me off. When you blow me off, it shows guilt," said Whidbee.

Sheriff Staples says their internal investigation shows the officers did everything by the book, just as they were trained to do.

This is CABL.com posting #316507. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbuu7
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Dannie Russell update LocoDawg 11/5/2010 8:03:59 PM