Create your free account now! Sign up

Safety is learnt in the field- not in a book !!

I've been in Video-Data-Voice/CATV-Copper-Fiber construction business for 44 years, back before bucket truck days, when it was cable TV not Broadband. We didn't have many deaths back in those days. During this period I had 1 man killed ( God rest his sole and peace to his family-He was a Great Person) while on the job during the thousand of miles of strand/cable/fiber placed.  Seems today that I'm hearing of more deaths in the field.  Following all the safety rules today has cost companies around a 1000 ft /day of lost production.  Be aware that no job is so important as to discard safety/life/limb of employees.  I think the real problem is UN TRAINED FIELD PERSONNEL, subs - subing to other subs, etc.  Prime contractors just going for the bucks $$$ with disregard for safety- it's just "GET R DONE" !!
Take me back to the good ole days with linemen in hooks-more production and everyone knew not to get you and your parteners killed.  Safety has no quiting time- it starts with YOU !
BE SAFE:  Years from now after all those years staying in cheap motels,  you'll understand how important your family was to you.  BE SAFE- Make it home tonight.
This is CABL.com posting #315820. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbuj2
Posted in reply to: Comcast Tech Assaulted During Disco by captain256
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Safety is learnt in the field- not in a book ! captain256 10/21/2010 8:14:34 PM