Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Splice info needed

I assume you are looking for fiber specs?

There are far too many specs out there to get the answer YOU need. Best way is to ask the customer their wants/needs.

Example FOR SMF - Simple OTDR spec includes bidi splice loss and power meter. This spec can range from .10db bidi up to a .20 bidi @1310nm/1550nm.

For advanced testing, called characterization, this usually includes ORL, reflectance, OTDR and power meter. Also may include PMD and CD. As for a splicing/preping spec , it's derived from a) the destructions or b) company practice. Of course the person ordering the parts has to get it right otherwise you cant get what you want with out the right pieces.

Too many vendors, too many types of closures, PLP, Tyco et all.

General spec for loose tube should include 2 wraps in the whale bone with a PLP closure and two laps of fiber in the tray. Again all derived from best practice and closure types. If the closure is a tyco straight in then still two laps in the trays.

For ribbon, half that.

There are far too many types of closure, including pedestals, to quote specs to sucha broad question not knowing the application you are involved in.

General

Cable Tv spec...easy stuff .20 bidi and power meter

Long haul - usually characterization with a splice spec of .10 to .15 bidi, MCI, Sprint, Williams, Level 3 et all

Military/Electric/Gov - .10 -.15/ power meter for ADSS , OPGW, etc

FTTx - usually .20 bidi @1310nm/1490nm/1550nm and power meter.

Again, there is a large range of specs. I have several different written variations but do not share as the information is proprietary due to the nature of the customers. If you'd like more information you can PM me and do a voice call. I can point you to the manufacture contacts for mean splice loss info on their glass if needed as well as few enginners that maybe willing to copy you on their current 2010+ specs.

Good luck.

Edited for general clarity. Minimum bend radius - 20 times diameter of cable. 250 microns = 2 inches. Does not always apply when using reduced bend radius optical fibers.

Clean fibers - with Degel, Hydrasol, HP /99.9 isopropyl alcohol ONLY

Splice using only isopropyl alcohol or acetone (old skool). Everything else has water in it.

No tape in the trays, ANY WHERE, ANY TIME.
This is CABL.com posting #315174. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbt9C
Posted in reply to: Splice info needed by groundgirl
There are 0 replies to this message